San Francisco News reports that a leak from a 3-D printer caused the death
of a Berkeley couple and their pets. According to an investigation, carbon
monoxide gas leaked from the printer, and killed the family. Carbon monoxide
is a colorless and odorless gas - you can't see it, smell it or taste
it. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include minor issues such as
nausea, headadches and fatigue. It may be confused with the flu. More
prolonged exposure can have catastropic effects such as brain damage or death.
A recent study issued a warning to both consumers and manufacturers that
3D printers may leak toxic emissions into homes. The study noted that
the use of "lasers to burn through certain materials such as plastics"
may create dangers associated with noxious gasses. When used in confined
areas such as homes, the printers can be deadly.
This accident remains under investigation. Many household products may
contain hidden dangers and toxins. In certain situations, manufacturers
may be aware of the dangers and be required to provide sufficient warning
to consumers. The failure to do so may be negligence.
For more information, or if you or a loved one has suffered harm as the
result of toxic exposure, please contact the experienced
San Francisco personal injury lawyers at Bostwick & Peterson, LLP for an immediate consultation.