Uninsured Motorist Accident Attorneys in San Francisco
Millions Recovered for Victims of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Car accidents can be painful events, both mentally and physically. Not only do you have to deal with injuries, repairs, claims, and insurance companies, you may also face challenges when it comes to figuring out who is liable for your damages. These challenges can be exacerbated when you are involved in a crash with an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
While crashes with uninsured or underinsured drivers are stressful, an experienced attorney can help you explore the avenues you may have available to seek compensation for your losses.
At Bostwick & Peterson, LLP, our San Francisco lawyers represent victims of uninsured and underinsured motorist accidents across the Bay Area and beyond. We are available to review your case during a FREE consultation.
Nationally Recognized Representation
Accident victims across the country have placed their trust in Bostwick & Peterson because of our proven record of success. Over the years, we have:
- Recovered more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements.
- Secured record-setting personal injury results in multiple states.
- Been named to U.S. News – Best Lawyers®“Best Law Firms”
- Earned the respect of peers and colleagues nationwide.
Discuss your UM / UIM accident case with a lawyer. Call (888) 831-8448 for a FREE consultation.
Accidents with Uninsured Drivers
In California, motorists are legally required to carry sufficient insurance. Despite this fact, it is estimated that around 15% of all U.S. drivers do not have any insurance coverage. In some states and cities, the numbers of uninsured drivers can be even higher.
Requirements like these exist for a simple reason: insurance provides essential compensation to victims who suffer harm and losses caused by a policyholder.
If you are injured by an uninsured motorist who doesn’t carry insurance, it can significantly threaten your ability to collect needed monies to cover your damages. If you or a loved one suffered catastrophic injuries or wrongful death, even an underinsured motorist can put you at risk for having to bear the burdens created by your injuries. These can include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering (physical and emotional)
- Property loss / repair expenses
- Lost quality of life
For these reasons, it is strongly advised that drivers purchase uninsured motorist insurance, which is optional coverage offered with auto insurance policies.
With uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim with your own insurance carrier to recover damages in the event that you are injured by someone without insurance, or by someone with a low-limit policy that is insufficient in providing compensation to cover all of your damages.
Though UM / UIM can be an important lifeline in uninsured or underinsured motorist crashes, you may have other options for compensation an attorney can help you explore, depending on the facts of your case.
Recovering Compensation After a Hit-and-Run Accident
In California, fleeing the scene of an accident is a crime. If you were struck by a driver who fled the scene, it can greatly threaten your ability to recover compensation for your damages.
Although there are challenges in hit-and-run accident claims, some solutions do exist. For example:
- Claims against located drivers: Notifying law enforcement as soon as possible can improve the chances of finding the driver who caused your crash. If that driver is located and carries auto insurance, you can seek compensation through their coverage. Any criminal charges they may face are separate from your personal injury case.
- Other defendants: In some cases, auto accident victims may be able to seek compensation from sources that are not as obvious as the hit-and-run driver, such as a negligent motorist who ran the hit-and-run vehicle out of their lane, manufacturers of defective products, or negligent property owners who failed to address hazards. If you were injured by a hit-and-run driver as a passenger in a rideshare vehicle like Uber or Lyft, your damages may also be covered by the company’s commercial insurance policy. Exploring the potential for naming other defendants can help you recover needed compensation in the event a fleeing motorist is never found.
- UM / UIM claims: Hit-and-run drivers are not always located, which is why it is very important to carry sufficient uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage. Because California law presumes hit-and-run drivers to be uninsured, you can recover damages sustained in a hit-and-run crash, up to the limits of your policy, by filing a claim with your own insurance company. You must have this additional coverage in order to pursue a claim.
A Proven Team by Your Side
Bostwick & Peterson has decades of experience fighting for auto accident victims. We are certified by the American Board of Professional Liability as Specialists in our field, and our team includes attorneys recognized among The Best Lawyers in America©, California Super Lawyers®, and other legal rating services.
We understand the laws and we know your rights. When you contact a caring and talented lawyer at our firm, you not only receive answers to your questions, but we will also thoroughly review your case, advise you of your rights, help you file claims or lawsuits as needed and fight to ensure you receive the maximum compensation allowed under law.
Request a FREE Consultation. Call (888) 831-8448
Don't be fooled. Insurance companies, like most businesses, are there to make money for their stockholders and answer to a Board of Directors. That is simply their business model. Due to this fact, when it comes time to pay out on an insurance claim, especially if an uninsured motorist was at fault, many insurance companies will strive for a quick settlement in order to pay out the least possible amount. Other insurance companies will attempt to unnecessarily delay your claim in order to draw out the investigation process, thus hoping to force you to settle for a lesser amount.
Don't let insurance companies intimidate you. You have rights. You deserve to get the compensation you are owed for the injuries and damages you sustained during the accident, even if an uninsured motorist was at fault.
Let us fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today.
Invitation-only organization of the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in the U.S.
Former President of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, limited to the top 500 trial lawyers in the U.S.
James S. Bostwick and Erik L. Peterson have been named top-rated medical malpractice attorneys in Northern California.
Invitation-only group of the nation’s top civil lawyers and judges.
James Bostwick is a nationally certified medical malpractice specialist and founding member.
Recognized since its inception in 1983 by this peer-reviewed publication, comprised of the best legal talent in the world.
Recognized for professional excellence with impressive ratings from clients and peers.
James Bostwick & Erik Peterson are listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
An exclusive group limited to less than 1% of U.S. attorneys who have won multi-million dollar results.
James Bostwick is in the Hall of Fame and featured among the Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America.
More Than $1 Billion In Settlements And Verdicts For Our Clients
Since January 2018, The Firm Has Twice Broken The California Record For Largest Medical Malpractice Settlements
Best Lawyers® Trial Lawyer Of The Year In 2012
James Bostwick Is A Nationally Certified Specialist By The American Board Of Professional Liability
Included In The List Of "Best Lawyers In America" By U.S. News - Best Lawyers® Since Its Inception In 1983
James Bostwick Received The Trial Lawyers "Presidential Award Of Merit"
Invite-Only Member Of The Inner Circle of Advocates, Limited To The Nation’s Top 100 Plaintiff Lawyers
Record-Setting Verdicts & Settlements In Four States, For Malpractice, Truck, And Auto Accidents