Amputation Injury Attorney in San Francisco
Loss of Limbs / Amputation Caused by Medical Malpractice & Negligence
When undiagnosed and untreated, many types of medical conditions and infections can become progressively worse, spread through the body, and increase the risks of patients suffering severe injuries, disabilities, or death. This includes conditions that necessitate amputation.
Though there are protocols and medical standards for treating patients with conditions that pose risks of limb amputation, hospitals and doctors do not always act within accepted standards. Sometimes, their negligence and substandard care can lead to injuries that could have been avoided.
If a health care provider’s negligence resulted in amputation for you or your loved one, or an amputation resulted from injuries sustained in an accident caused by someone else, you may have grounds to pursue a civil lawsuit and recover financial compensation for your losses.
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP is a nationally renowned medical malpractice and personal injury firm. We are available to review your potential case and explain how we can help. Contact us for a FREE case review.
Record Results Amputation Cases
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP has cultivated a legacy of success in high-stakes personal injury and medical negligence claims. Led by Attorney James Bostwick, an ABLPA Certified Malpractice Specialist, and Attorney Erik Peterson, we have recovered over $1 billion in compensation, and have won record results in multiple states.
Our San Francisco attorneys have recovered millions of dollars for victims of medical malpractice and personal injury resulting in amputation. Examples of our amputation cases:
- $9.75 Million for the amputation of both hands and lower legs due to a failure to diagnose and timely treat sepsis. This was the largest amputation settlement in California history (2018).
- $9.7 Million for an inmate with multiple amputations of hands and feet due to the corrections facility’s failure to timely transfer him for emergency care for a skin infection that led to septic shock. This was a record amputation result in the state where it was obtained.
- $9.25 Million over ER providers’ failure to diagnose and treat a kidney infection that developed into sepsis, resulting in the amputation of both arms and legs. This was a record amputation result at the time (2017).
- $8.75 Million for failure to diagnose an infection (Necrotizing Fasciitis) resulting in amputation.
- $8.5 Million for multiple amputations of hands and legs due to ER failure to timely treat sepsis.
Do I Have a Malpractice Case for Medical Negligence Resulting in Amputation?
In order to succeed in a medical malpractice claim, victims must show a medical provider’s negligence deviated from the accepted standard of care, and that medical negligence was a substantial factor in causing the patient’s injury – in this case, a medically necessary amputation.
These are many conditions and acts of medical negligence that can result in the loss of limbs and medical malpractice lawsuits. Some of these include:
- Failures to diagnose and timely treat infections
- Misdiagnosis of infections or other medical conditions
- Failure to timely diagnose and treat sepsis or septic shock
- Poor disinfection practices resulting in patient infections
- Surgical errors or negligent post-operative care resulting in infection
- Wrong-site surgeries on the wrong limb or body part
Because the standard of care depends on the many individual facts surrounding a case, a patient, and their condition, your case must be analyzed personally by experienced lawyers and medical experts. Generally, our attorneys and expert witnesses work to answer an important question:
Did the treating provider act as a reasonably skilled, experienced, and trained provider would be expected to act under the same or similar circumstances?
If the answer is no, the provider in question may have failed to meet their duty of care and victims may have the right to bring claims for compensation. Because malpractice claims are so fact-specific, you can speak personally with one of our attorneys for a more accurate assessment of your right to file a claim.
Personal Injury Lawsuits & Amputation
Amputations can be caused by more than just medical malpractice. In some cases, they become necessary when victims suffer traumatic injuries and limbs cannot be saved or become infected and pose adverse risks to a victim’s health.
As a U.S. News – Best Lawyers®“Best Law Firms” Tier 1 Personal Injury Law Firm, Bostwick & Peterson also represents victims injured by the negligent or wrongful acts of others. This includes injuries sustained as a result of:
- Car accidents and truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Boating accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
How are Amputation / Loss of Limb Victims Compensated?
Medical malpractice and personal injury claims are important mechanisms for holding negligent providers and people accountable, but they can also provide victims with financial compensation to cover the losses and future expenses they incur due to their injuries and the lasting disabilities they must endure.
In a successful amputation case, victims may recover compensation for:
- Hospital bills and medical expenses
- Costs of rehabilitation and physical / mental health therapies
- Prosthetics and medical device expenses
- Future medical needs
- Lost income / diminished earning capacity
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
If you are contemplating a potential a civil injury or malpractice lawsuit involving amputation, you can be confident about placing your trust in our San Francisco lawyers at Bostwick & Peterson. We have proven experience in amputation cases, and can review yours to discuss its merits.
Call (888) 831-8448 or contact us online to request a free case review.
Invitation-only organization of the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in the U.S.
Former President of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, limited to the top 500 trial lawyers in the U.S.
James S. Bostwick and Erik L. Peterson have been named top-rated medical malpractice attorneys in Northern California.
Invitation-only group of the nation’s top civil lawyers and judges.
James Bostwick is a nationally certified medical malpractice specialist and founding member.
Recognized since its inception in 1983 by this peer-reviewed publication, comprised of the best legal talent in the world.
Recognized for professional excellence with impressive ratings from clients and peers.
James Bostwick & Erik Peterson are listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
An exclusive group limited to less than 1% of U.S. attorneys who have won multi-million dollar results.
James Bostwick has been featured among the Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America.