Helping Victims Fight for Justice
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP is a U.S. News “Best Law Firms” Tier 1 rated trial practice known nationally for fighting on behalf of victims harmed by the negligent and wrongful acts of others.
Our firm has been trusted by hundreds of families following preventable accidents because we know how to get results:
- Over $1 billion in compensation recovered for clients.
- Record verdicts and settlements in CA, HI, OK, WA, and CO.
- Award-winning attorneys named among The Best Lawyers in America.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
- Distracted driving.
- Driving while fatigued.
- Bad weather conditions.
- Speeding and driving recklessly.
- Negligent hiring by the truck company.
- Failing to properly train drivers.
- Failing to maintain trucks to a quality standard.
Types of Trucking Collisions
Trucking collisions can take many forms. Some of the most common include:
- T-bone collisions: Side-impact crashes are extremely hazardous as the only protection between an occupant and colliding vehicle is a door. When a truck and high speeds are involved, the consequences are often devastating.
- Underride accidents: Tractor-trailers and other commercial trucks have a higher ground clearance than a standard passenger vehicle. This creates a risk for rear- and side-underride accidents, which occur when cars or trucks pass or wedge under a truck’s undercarriage. Underride wrecks are associated with greater injury and death risks.
- Rollovers / Jackknife: Truck rollovers are notorious for elevated risks of severe injury or death. According to NHTSA, rollovers account for just 3% of all large truck crashes, but are responsible for more than half of driver / occupant deaths.
Liability in Trucking Accident Lawsuits
At Bostwick & Peterson, we help victims pursue personal injury or wrongful death claims against the individuals and entities responsible for their losses.
In the event that you or someone you love is harmed in an accident with a big rig, bus, or commercial vehicle, you may have grounds to pursue a lawsuit against the responsible parties. This may include:
- A truck driver whose negligence or wrongful act is a substantial cause of injury (i.e. speeding, traffic infraction, driving under the influence, falling asleep at the wheel.
- A trucking company that employs a negligent trucker and / or committed violations or negligent acts that caused injury (i.e. violations of hours-of-service rules, failures to maintain vehicles, negligent hiring or retention of unfit drivers, etc.)
- A third-party vehicle maintenance company responsible for inadequate maintenance, repairs, or failure to address safety hazards.
- A third-party distribution company responsible for improperly loaded cargo or cargo securement violations that result in injury.
- A manufacturer responsible for defective products, defective tires, or faulty auto components that malfunction and cause a crash.
- A landowner that failed to address roadway or premises hazards that cause a wreck.
- A contractor, developer, or other party that fails to ensure safety on a construction site, resulting in a commercial vehicle accident and injury to workers or pedestrians.
Liability can look different in every case, which is why a personalized review is so important. By reviewing your potential case and conducting the necessary investigations, our team can help you understand if another party (or multiple parties) can be held responsible for your damages
Compensation for Truck Accident Victims
Personal injury victims have a right to a financial recovery of their damages. This means that if you effectively reach a settlement with the defendant and / or their insurance carrier or prevail in your claim at trial, you can recover compensation for:
- Hospital bills
- Costs associated with rehabilitation, therapy, and medications
- Future medical expenses you are likely to require
- Lost wages and lost future earnings
- Loss of quality or enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Other economic and non-economic losses
Trucking accident lawsuits often involve catastrophic injuries and victims who incur long-term if not lifelong setbacks. As a result, commercial insurers often view truck accident claims as significant threats to their bottom line, and go to great lengths to pay victims as little as possible.
At Bostwick & Peterson, we provide a voice to victims and help them fight back against corporations that care more about profits than people. We take pride in helping victims understand their rights and available options, the full scope of their damages, and how to pursue the maximum compensation possible – whether through settlement or verdict.
If you or your loved one were harmed in a traffic accident involving a commercial truck, working with skilled legal representation is critical. Our San Francisco attorneys at Bostwick & Peterson can help you evaluate your legal options after a truck accident and explain what we can do to help.