Sepsis & Septic Shock Attorney in San Francisco
Sepsis Medical Malpractice Lawsuits in California
Sepsis and septic shock are life-threatening conditions caused by the body’s response to infection, and they can result in debilitating injuries, disabilities, or death if they are not treated in a prompt and proper manner.
Whether patients present to hospitals or Emergency Rooms with sepsis, develop sepsis while in a hospital, or acquire an infection following a medical procedure, they require critical care and treatment that conforms with accepted medical standards. Patients who suffer harm because they did not receive acceptable care required to prevent the development or worsening of sepsis may be able to hold their providers accountable for negligence.
If you have questions about your options for bringing a medical malpractice lawsuit against the hospital or provider that may be responsible for injuries or wrongful death caused by sepsis, Bostwick & Peterson, LLP is available to help.
Call (888) 831-8448 or contact us for a FREE consultation.
Why Bostwick & Peterson, LLP?
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP is led by two of the nation’s most respected Civil Trial Attorneys – James S. Bostwick, who is an ABPLA Certified Medical Malpractice Specialist, and Erik L. Peterson, a decorated litigator who has helped our team secure record results. We are trusted by clients and colleagues for many reasons:
- We are ranked among the nation’s “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News – Best Lawyers.
- Our firm has recovered more than $1 billion in compensation for victims and families.
- We have won record-setting medical malpractice results in multiple states.
Our record of success includes millions in verdicts and settlements for victims of birth injuries and medical malpractice – including what is believed to be the largest medical malpractice recovery in California history in a sepsis case involving birth injuries caused by a failure to treat a pregnant mother's infection ($17M settlement).
Millions Recovered for Sepsis Victims
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP has extensive experience litigating high-value medical malpractice claims involving sepsis and septic shock. Examples of our case results include:
- $17 million settlement for a newborn who sustained a severe brain injury when providers failed to treat a pregnant mother’s routine infection that worsened and became septic. This is believed to be the largest medical malpractice recovery in California history (2019).
- $9.75 million settlement for a 25-year-old woman who had both hands and legs amputated after providers failed to diagnose and treat her sepsis and administered excessive medication. This was the highest settlement in California history for a case involving amputation.
- $9.7 million settlement for a jail inmate who was not promptly sent for emergency care by corrections facility to treat a skin infection, resulting in septic shock and multiple amputations. This was a record amputation result in the state where it was obtained.
- $9.25 million settlement for a 40-year-old woman who was required to undergo multiple amputations after ER providers failed to diagnose and timely treat a kidney infection (pyelonephritis) that developed into sepsis.
- $8.5 million recovery for a client with sepsis that was not promptly treated by providers, resulting in the loss of hands and legs.
Can I Sue a Hospital or Doctor for Getting Sepsis?
Sepsis and septic shock (dangerously low blood pressure) are medical emergencies that can have devastating health outcomes. As such, providers must act swiftly to identify warning signs, arrive at an accurate and timely diagnosis, and provide the necessary treatment.
Examples of adverse health outcomes caused by sepsis include:
- Tissue damage
- Organ failure
- Loss of limbs / amputation
- Respiratory or heart failure
If providers fail to meet the standards associated with preventing and treating sepsis and septic shock and patients suffer preventable harm as a result, there may be grounds for legal action. In addition to proving that patients suffered injury they would not have suffered had they received adequate care, sepsis malpractice lawsuits must also prove how a provider failed to meet their duty of care, and how that breach of duty caused injury.
As one of California’s leading medical malpractice law firms, we know proving these elements is a challenging task. It is why we leverage decades of experience, extensive resources, and connections with medical experts who help us evaluate the conduct of providers and whether their actions failed to conform with actions reasonably skilled and experienced practitioners would be expected to provide.
Examples of negligence that can lead to sepsis-related injury or death:
- Failure to diagnose sepsis / misdiagnosis of sepsis
- Failure to recognize complications and timely treat
- Failure to adequately treat infections that become septic
- Failure to order necessary tests or correctly interpret results
- Medication errors / failure to administer correct type of dose of medication
- Surgical errors and post-operative errors leading to infection
- Failure to disinfect IV lines and medical equipment
- Nursing home negligence and failure to prevent or treat bedsores
Because medical malpractice cases are highly fact-specific, the best way to determine if you have a viable cause for action is to speak personally with a qualified attorney. Bostwick & Peterson offers FREE case evaluations, and can discuss your rights further after reviewing the facts of your case.
Compensation for Sepsis in Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
Victims of medical malpractice are entitled to financial compensation for losses arising from their injuries or the wrongful death of their loved one. Recoverable damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Costs of rehabilitation, therapy, medications, and medical devices
- Past and future lost wages
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional suffering, disability, and disfigurement
- Funeral / burial expenses
- Lost financial and emotional support
Learn more about medical malpractice lawsuits involving sepsis or septic shock and how our San Francisco attorneys at Bostwick & Peterson can help. Call (888) 831-8448 for a free case review. We proudly serve clients across California and beyond.
Invitation-only organization of the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in the U.S.
Former President of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, limited to the top 500 trial lawyers in the U.S.
James S. Bostwick and Erik L. Peterson have been named top-rated medical malpractice attorneys in Northern California.
Invitation-only group of the nation’s top civil lawyers and judges.
James Bostwick is a nationally certified medical malpractice specialist and founding member.
Recognized since its inception in 1983 by this peer-reviewed publication, comprised of the best legal talent in the world.
Recognized for professional excellence with impressive ratings from clients and peers.
James Bostwick & Erik Peterson are listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
An exclusive group limited to less than 1% of U.S. attorneys who have won multi-million dollar results.
James Bostwick inducted into the Hall of Fame and featured among the Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America.
More than $1 billion recovered for our clients
Since January 2018, the firm has twice broken the California record for the largest medical malpractice settlement
James Bostwick was named Trial Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers® in 2012
James Bostwick is a Nationally Certified Specialist by the American Board of Professional Liability
Included in the list of "Best Lawyers in America" by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® since its inception in 1983
James Bostwick received the Trial Lawyers "Presidential Award of Merit"
James Bostwick is a member of the Inner Circle of Advocates, limited to the nation’s top 100 plaintiff lawyers
Record-setting verdicts and settlements in five states for medical malpractice and motor vehicle accidents