San Francisco Anesthesia Error Attorney
Call if You Were Injured by an Anesthesia Mistake in California: (888) 831-8448
Anesthesia is a valuable tool for medical professionals, but it has considerable risks which must be appropriately managed. If anesthesiologists, physicians, or other health care providers make mistakes when administering anesthesia, the consequences can be devastating.
If you or a loved one were harmed due to an anesthesia error, you may have been a victim of negligence. By filing a medical malpractice claim, you can seek financial compensation for your damages.
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP is a U.S. News “Best Law Firms Tier 1 law firm that has won record results for medical negligence victims. Our San Francisco lawyers can review your anesthesia error lawsuit and discuss your options.
Why Choose Bostwick & Peterson, LLP?
Bostwick & Peterson is trusted by colleagues and clients nationwide. Here are a few reasons why:
- Over $1 billion in compensation recovered for clients, including numerous million and multi-million results in medical negligence cases.
- Record-setting verdicts and settlements in four states, including the largest medical malpractice recovery in California history ($17M settlement for a brain-injured baby).
- Nationally renowned trial lawyers included in The Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, Inner Circle of Advocates, and more.
- Specialized experienced from a Medical Malpractice Specialist certified by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys (James S. Bostwick).
Types of Anesthesia Errors
Anesthesia is used widely across many medical settings – from hospitals and emergency departments to outpatient facilities and doctor’s offices. Wherever anesthesia is administered, treating providers – including anesthesiologists and certified nurse anesthetists (CRNA) – are obligated to meet the accepted standards of their profession.
Unfortunately, specialists and medical professionals can make devastating mistakes. Some examples of anesthesia malpractice:
- Improper dose: Errors involving the amount of anesthesia given to a patient can cause severe injury or death. This includes too much or not enough anesthesia, or the wrong type.
- Failure to treat complications: Providers should be prepared to promptly react in the event of complications or adverse reactions, and may be held liable for injuries caused by failures to diagnose or recognize complications and delays or failures to treat.
- Failure to monitor: Patients under anesthesia should be appropriately monitored for signs of distress and oxygen deprivation. Failure to adequately monitor may result in liability.
- Coordinated care errors: Anesthesia administration commonly requires coordination between multiple specialists, providers, and administrators. Communication errors and mistakes involving patient intake, hand-off, or informed consent can have major consequences.
- Defective products: Companies responsible for defectively designed or manufactured anesthesia machines can be held liable for preventable injuries under product liability.
Errors involving anesthesia can increase risks of serious and fatal injuries involving:
- Intubation errors and airway trauma
- Oxygen deprivation and brain damage
- Blood clots and heart attack
- Stroke injuries
- Anaphylaxis (allergic reaction)
- Paralysis and nerve damage
- Coma or wrongful death
- Regaining consciousness during procedure (anesthesia awareness)
These injuries can result from the negligent acts of administering too much or too little anesthesia, reducing anesthesia before completion of the surgery, neglecting to give patient enough oxygen, or by administering an anesthetic to which the patient is allergic. A talented lawyer from our team can help address the legal issues surrounding the errors that may have occurred in your case.
A Legacy of Proven Results
Our attorneys have obtained millions in compensation for victims of medical negligence, as well as numerous record recoveries in complex malpractice and birth injury claims.
Examples of our results:
- $17 Million settlement over providers’ failure to treat routine maternal infection during pregnancy, resulting in brain injury to the baby. This is the largest medical malpractice recovery in California history (2019).
- $14 Million recovery for a 3-day-old baby who suffered brain injury due to a laparoscopic surgical error at a major California university hospital. At the time, this was the largest medical malpractice settlement in California (2018).
- $8 Million settlement over poor anesthetic technique during a knee operation, resulting in brain injury to a 16-year-old patient. This was a record recovery in Oklahoma at the time (1985).
- $7.76 Million for a child rendered partially blind, partially paralyzed, and brain damaged from cardiac arrest due to an anesthesia machine malfunction during surgery. This was the largest product liability settlement for an ambulatory brain-injured child in California at the time.
Request a Free Review of Your Anesthesia Malpractice Case
Anesthesiologists and medical professional are required to meet their duty of care when treating patients. This means exercising the skill, knowledge, and care that other reasonably careful specialists and providers would use in the same or similar circumstances.
When providers fail to meet the standard of care and patients suffer preventable harm, there may be grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit.
As one of California’s leading medical malpractice firms, Bostwick & Peterson knows the importance of holding providers accountable for negligence and recovering the compensation victims need.
If you have questions about an anesthesia malpractice case and how our San Francisco lawyers may be able to help, contact us for a FREE consultation.
Invitation-only organization of the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in the U.S.
Former President of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, limited to the top 500 trial lawyers in the U.S.
James S. Bostwick and Erik L. Peterson have been named top-rated medical malpractice attorneys in Northern California.
Invitation-only group of the nation’s top civil lawyers and judges.
James Bostwick is a nationally certified medical malpractice specialist and founding member.
Recognized since its inception in 1983 by this peer-reviewed publication, comprised of the best legal talent in the world.
Recognized for professional excellence with impressive ratings from clients and peers.
James Bostwick & Erik Peterson are listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
An exclusive group limited to less than 1% of U.S. attorneys who have won multi-million dollar results.
James Bostwick inducted into the Hall of Fame and featured among the Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America.
More Than $1 Billion In Settlements And Verdicts For Our Clients
Since January 2018, The Firm Has Twice Broken The California Record For Largest Medical Malpractice Settlements
Best Lawyers® Trial Lawyer Of The Year In 2012
James Bostwick Is A Nationally Certified Specialist By The American Board Of Professional Liability
Included In The List Of "Best Lawyers In America" By U.S. News - Best Lawyers® Since Its Inception In 1983
James Bostwick Received The Trial Lawyers "Presidential Award Of Merit"
Invite-Only Member Of The Inner Circle of Advocates, Limited To The Nation’s Top 100 Plaintiff Lawyers
Record-Setting Verdicts & Settlements In Five States, For Malpractice, Truck, And Auto Accidents