Dialysis Injury Lawyer in San Francisco
Discuss a Kidney Dialysis Malpractice Lawsuit: (888) 831-8448
Patients in the late stages of kidney failure rely on dialysis to perform the duties of healthy kidneys, including the removal of unwanted toxins, waste products, and excess fluids.
Although dialysis can take the place of some kidney function and allow patients to live longer, its efficacy depends on the quality of care patients receive, as well as the proper administration of treatment.
If injury occurs because providers deviate from the standard of care when providing dialysis treatment, diagnosing a kidney-related condition, or assessing the need for dialysis, patients and families may have grounds to file a civil lawsuit and recover compensation for their damages.
A Proven Malpractice Team
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP is comprised of award-winning attorneys who fight for victims and families in a range of medical malpractice cases. We are trusted by families and fellow lawyers across the country because we have the experience these complex claims require.
- Over $1 billion in compensation recovered for clients.
- Record-setting verdicts and settlements in multiple states.
- Named among U.S. News’ Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
If you have questions about a potential dialysis injury lawsuit, our San Francisco lawyers are available to help. We serve clients across California and the U.S., and offer FREE consultations.
When is a Dialysis Error Medical Malpractice?
The National Kidney Foundation estimates that over 400,000 Americans are on dialysis. These patients typically receive care several times per week at a hospital, a dialysis center that is not part of a hospital, or at home.
While there are unique risks associated with various types of dialysis, all dialysis treatments – including hemodialysis performed with the use of a dialysis machine and peritoneal dialysis – require providers to treat patients in accordance to accepted standards.
If physicians, technicians, nurses, or other providers deviate from accepted standards and patients suffer injuries they would not otherwise have suffered as a result, there may be grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Dialysis errors may involve:
- Failure to properly monitor dialysis treatment
- Improper use or re-use of a dialysis machine
- Infections caused by failures to sterilize machines or lines
- Negligent cleaning and filtering of dialysis systems / leftover cleaning solution
- Dialysate error / improper use of acid concentrate in hemodialysis machines
- Medical equipment errors or defective medical devices
- Medication errors or unsafe medications / recalled dialysis drugs
- Vascular access-related events
- Patient falls
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis
While every case requires a personalized evaluation, all medical malpractice lawsuits require victims to prove a few essential elements. Generally, this includes:
- The existence of a legal duty between the defendant and victim.
- A breach of duty, or the defendant’s negligence and failure to meet the standard of care.
- Causation, which means proving substandard care more likely than not caused injury.
- The victim suffered actual damages as a result.
Bostwick & Peterson has decades of experience fighting for victims of negligence, and works closely with medical experts to determine if and how providers were negligent when administering dialysis and treating dialysis patients.
By conducting in-depth investigations, we can accumulate the evidence to support our clients’ claims and give them a fighting chance to recover compensation for their losses.
What Can I Recover in a Dialysis Error Lawsuit?
Victims of malpractice are entitled to financial compensation for their losses. Depending on the nature and severity of an injury, this can include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future lost wages
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Funeral, lost financial support, and loss of consortium (in cases of wrongful death)
Speak with a San Francisco Dialysis Injury Attorney
At Bostwick & Peterson, our nationally recognized attorneys have an extensive understanding of the U.S. health care system and the laws and standards meant to protect patients from preventable harm. We also know how providers commonly fail to meet their duty of care when treating dialysis patients, and how for-profit dialysis centers are statistically more likely to have quality of care issues. We are prepared to evaluate these and other matters of negligence in your potential claim.
If you or your loved one suffered harm due to a dialysis error, our attorneys can review your case during a FREE consultation and discuss your options. Contact us to speak with a lawyer.
Invitation-only organization of the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in the U.S.
Former President of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, limited to the top 500 trial lawyers in the U.S.
James S. Bostwick and Erik L. Peterson have been named top-rated medical malpractice attorneys in Northern California.
Invitation-only group of the nation’s top civil lawyers and judges.
James Bostwick is a nationally certified medical malpractice specialist and founding member.
Recognized since its inception in 1983 by this peer-reviewed publication, comprised of the best legal talent in the world.
Recognized for professional excellence with impressive ratings from clients and peers.
James Bostwick & Erik Peterson are listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
An exclusive group limited to less than 1% of U.S. attorneys who have won multi-million dollar results.
James Bostwick has been featured among the Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America.