Intensive Care Injury Lawyer in San Francisco
ICU Injury Lawsuits in California
Intensive care units (ICU) and neonatal intensive care units (NICU) are places where the most severely ill patients and newborns can access dedicated care teams. Because ICU patients often require urgent, complex, and invasive treatment, the margin for error is slim - even seemingly minor mistakes can results in devastating injuries or death.
Critical care providers in ICUs, like providers in other medical settings, have legal obligations to treat patients in accordance with accepted standards of their profession. When they fail to meet the applicable standard of care and injuries or death result, negligent providers can be held accountable.
If your loved one suffered preventable injury or wrongful death due to the negligence of an ICU provider or hospital, you may be entitled to compensation. Bostwick & Peterson, LLP is a renowned civil trial law firm known for litigating complex medical malpractice claims. Our attorneys can review your case and discuss your legal options.
Call (888) 831-8448 or contact us online to request a FREE case review.
Why Choose Bostwick & Peterson, LLP?
Bostwick & Peterson is led by two of the country’s most respected medical malpractice lawyers:
- James S. Bostwick, a Certified Medical Malpractice Specialist by the ABPLA and member of the Inner Circle of Advocates, an invite-only group of the nation’s top 100 plaintiffs’ trial lawyers.
- Erik L. Peterson, an award-winning Civil Trial Attorney who has secured record malpractice results and has been named among The Best Lawyers in America.
Attorneys James Bostwick and Erik Peterson have helped recover more than $1 billion in compensation for our clients – includingmillions for malpractice and birth injury victims. Over the years, the two have cultivated a legacy of success in high-stakes medical negligencecases and have secured record-setting results in multiple states.
Examples of our medical malpractice recoveries:
- $17 million settlement for a baby born with brain damage after providers failed to treat a routine infection during pregnancy. This is believed to the largest medical malpractice recovery in California to date (2019).
- $14 million settlement for a child who suffered brain injury due to a surgical error. At the time the case was resolved, this was the largest medical malpractice settlement in California (2018).
- $5 million recovery for a premature infant in intensive care who suffered a brain injury caused by a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC).
- $2.1 million recovery for a child who suffered brain damage when the physician failed to properly treat premature birth complications shortly after birth.
Do I Have an ICU Injury Case?
Your right to bring a medical malpractice claim against providers you believe are responsible for injuries or wrongful death in an ICU or NICU will depend on the specific facts involved.
Though the standard of care in intensive care settings may be different from the standard of care in other non-emergency settings, critical care providers in ICUs still have legal obligations to treat patients in accordance with accepted standards. Generally, this means:
A provider must act in a manner a similarly trained and experienced provider in the same field would be expected to act under the same or similar circumstances.
If physicians, surgeons, nurses, or others in the ICU or NICU failed to meet the standard of care when treating an ICU patient and that patient suffers injury or death as a result, it may be possible for victims and families to hold them accountable in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Determining whether there were negligent deviations from the standard of care is a challenging task that requires in-depth investigation, an exhaustive review of medical records, and collaboration with medical experts. Bostwick & Peterson can evaluate your options for legal actions during a FREE and confidential consultation.
Examples of Intensive Care Errors & Negligence
Substandard care and negligence can take many forms. In critical care settings like the ICU and NICU, intensive care errors may involve:
- Serious injuries, disability, amputation or disfigurement due to delays / failures to recognize and timely treat medical emergencies or complications.
- Administrative or communication errors (i.e. lost or switched patient records, failures to delegate, etc.).
- Surgical errors, including wrong-site surgeries, medical instruments left behind, and perforation.
- Medication errors or anesthesia errors
- Diagnostic errors, including failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis in the ICU, failures to order appropriate tests, lab mistakes, or failure to interpret results.
Request a FREE Case Evaluation: (888) 831-8448
Bostwick & Peterson, LLP has the experience and resources to take on even the toughest medical malpractice cases. If you have a potential malpractice lawsuit involving intensive care unit or neonatal intensive care unit errors, our San Francisco lawyers are available to review your case at no cost and discuss who we may be able to help.
We proudly serve clients across California and the U.S. Contact us to speak with a lawyer.
Invitation-only organization of the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in the U.S.
Former President of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, limited to the top 500 trial lawyers in the U.S.
James S. Bostwick and Erik L. Peterson have been named top-rated medical malpractice attorneys in Northern California.
Invitation-only group of the nation’s top civil lawyers and judges.
James Bostwick is a nationally certified medical malpractice specialist and founding member.
Recognized since its inception in 1983 by this peer-reviewed publication, comprised of the best legal talent in the world.
Recognized for professional excellence with impressive ratings from clients and peers.
James Bostwick & Erik Peterson are listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
An exclusive group limited to less than 1% of U.S. attorneys who have won multi-million dollar results.
James Bostwick inducted into the Hall of Fame and featured among the Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America.
More than $1 billion recovered for our clients
Since January 2018, the firm has twice broken the California record for the largest medical malpractice settlement
James Bostwick was named Trial Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers® in 2012
James Bostwick is a Nationally Certified Specialist by the American Board of Professional Liability
Included in the list of "Best Lawyers in America" by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® since its inception in 1983
James Bostwick received the Trial Lawyers "Presidential Award of Merit"
James Bostwick is a member of the Inner Circle of Advocates, limited to the nation’s top 100 plaintiff lawyers
Record-setting verdicts and settlements in five states for medical malpractice and motor vehicle accidents